Snow flurries landed on my windbreaker as my muddy brown hiking boots stomped the slush-covered ground. Jane and I walked hand in hand, towards the lake that had always captivated my childish brain ten years ago. Jane gasped as we neared the lake, which was surprisingly occupied by dozens of ducks! She looked at me lovingly, as I felt peaceful and happier than ever.
It was amazing, really. As I thought about how my life was ten years ago, nothing compared to how it was now. Jane and I married around eight years ago when she finally realized that no stupid jock could ever make her happy the way I did. For Chrissake, they were just a bunch of Goddamn phonies. The real amazement here was that it was almost the dead of winter in New York City and there were ducks! Never in my life have I seen such a miracle. It truly was a sight to see.
In case you're wondering if I had made a complete turnaround and changed altogether, you are very wrong. My smoking habit has not ceased and I still cuss like a madman. I mean, I really am not the perfect gentleman, but thanks to Jane Gallagher, my love, life has never been better. Besides Phoebe, Jane was the only person I had any respect for and completely admired. Everyone else were just phonies.
We live in a one-bedroom apartment on the twenty-fourth floor in New York City; very close to Central park. Why Jane and I live there and not somewhere in the suburbs was my idea. Jane wanted to move out to some country-like place and being the hard-headed Taurus that I am, I simply could not go for that. When Jane questioned why I had my heart set on living in the city, I explained that how much I loved the "rush" of things in New York City and the nightlife. Shortly afterward she agreed to it and had no further objection. Since we moved to the Big Apple, we visited clubs and went out almost every night. Even old Phoebe came to visit once in a while. She is still as sharp as a tack, I tell you.
Anyway, there stood Jane and I at the lake in Central Park. Being there made me reminisce about the time I waltzed in to the park piss-drunk in the middle of the night to come see the ducks. I felt a sharp pang of sadness as I remembered all of the depressing thoughts that had came to my mind that one night. How I thought that I would die of pneumonia and that I didn't want a funeral because when I remembered Allie's funeral, all I could think of was how our aunt's and uncles who came were just a bunch of phonies. Who needs em' anyways.
"Holden, are you okay? You don't seem all here." Jane quickly snapped me out of my flashback.
"Yes Jane. I'm fine, I'm sure of it." I blatantly retorted.
"How 'bout we go home then? Hey? Would that be alright?" Jane warmly asked.
I didn't reply, I just nodded my head, gave one last look at the lake, and out of nowhere, the ducks were gone. Peculiar, I thought. Anyway, we trudged slowly back to our apartment, rode up the elevator, and after what seemed like hours, we finally made it back into our quaint home. It wasn't all that much but it was still home. Jane sauntered off into the hallway as I plopped down onto our sofa. I heard Jane going through a bunch of stuff and I hollered, "Hey Jane? Watchya doin'?"
She didn’t' answer me. Jane came back with a chessboard and a crooked smile on her face. I knew what she wanted outta' me and I smiled back at her. She placed it on the floor and she sat down by it and started to put all of the pieces in place. I came over by her and we started an intense game of chess. Like she had always done before, Jane placed all of her kings in the back row. That really killed me, boy did it kill me. I couldn’t stop laughing and neither could she. I kissed her all over and told her I loved her.
THE END
The reason why I made Holden and Jane be married ten years later is because from examples in the book, it showed that Holden really loved her and cared for her. Whenever Holden had flashbacks about him and Jane playing chess, or when he rambled on and on about her, it made me want Jane and Holden to get together more than anything.
Also, Holden was a wild-child when he was younger. He was the epitome of what a rebel was the way he cussed, acted, and the way he had no self-remorse for any other person but himself. The only people that he really showed that he cared for were Phoebe, Allie, and Jane. Holden also admired his older brother D.B. and James Castle but D.B. was never around much and James Castle was dead. I wanted to make this story a happy ending for Holden because I feel that sometimes when you're misunderstood and rebellious as a child, you tend to be more well-balanced as an adult.
After Holden got the boot from Pencey, I wanted to make it clear that he straightened out his life and got everything back the way it should be. Everyone deserves a happy ending, even if you are someone like Holden Caulfield.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
HEY SAMI!
I really like how you tied up holden and Jane in your story! I also liked your beginning and how they were holding hand and walking in the snow.GOOD JOB!!!
Post a Comment