Sunday, February 10, 2008

Shadowing Holden

I swear to god, I didn’t sneak out of the house because I was up to no good. The real reason was based on good intentions. If you really want to hear about it, I’ll tell you because honestly it was a big misunderstanding.
It was a typical Friday night; my whole family is at home and about to go to sleep. The time is somewhere around 10 o’ clock. I tell my mother, “Goodnight Mom, I’m going to sleep. See you tomorrow,” and she smiles warmly and tells me “sweet dreams.” As I saunter off to my bedroom, I dial my friend Brittany’s cell phone number.
“Hello?” a distraught voice on the other line answers.
“Hey Brit, what’s up?” I ask.
“I just found out that my grandpa died. Come over, I need some company!” She cries.
“Alright, I have to sneak out of the house to go, but I’ll come. I’ll be there in 15 minutes,” I reassure her.
I stuff my bed with pillows to make it look like there’s actually a person in the bed and shut off the lights. The door creaks open, and I tip-toe outside of my bedroom and into the hallway. As I make my way to the door of my house, I feel an adrenaline rush because it felt so unnatural to be leaving the house without my parents knowing.
I run up my driveway and out to the street. Brittany’s house isn’t too far away, so I begin to jog. Five minutes later I reach her home and go into her room. We sat there watching “A Cinderella Story” and eating chocolate ice-cream for about an hour. My cell phone starts to vibrate and on the caller ID it shows that my house is calling and my body becomes shaky.
I answer meekly, “H-h-hello?”
“SAMANTHA! WHERE ARE YOU?!” my mother’s angry voice screams.
“Mom, I can explain! I’m at Brittany’s house, her grandfather passed away!” I reply.
“I don’t care, just get home immediately!” she responds and hangs up.
I apologize to Brittany and then I head home. My mom is waiting for me at the door and she tells me that I will be grounded until further notice. She sends me to my room, and will not let me explain why I lied to her. A few weeks later, my grounding ends and I have certainly learned my lesson. I will never sneak out of the house again.

No comments: