Day in and day out my broken heart yearns
As cold as winter, my mind is frozen
With every lesson taught, I fail to learn
Never have I been the first one chosen
To my despair I am left alone
I'm feeling broken hearted, at its peak
The grass beneath my feet is overgrown
Another love like the last, I will seek
Every spring flower has ceased to blossom
Trinkets of lost love causes my heart ache
Drops of rain pour, I'm not feeling awesome
I smile, although we both know it is fake
Gloomy clouds gather overhead as I wait and sit
It is nice to say that I'm over it
Analysis:
In this sonnet, I am expressing a side of myself in which nobody ever sees. Normally, I am not a depressed person and I really dislike sharing my innermost feelings with others because it makes me feel vulnerable. This sonnet is not about something that has happened to me personally but something that everyone experiences.
The main point I was getting at in the whole picture was that everyone will experience heartbreak sooner or later, and then eventually they move on. It's apart of the cycle of life and it is a real emotion that nearly everyone can relate to. The metaphors I used such as "As cold as winter, my mind is frozen" express the loneliness and thoughtlessness you experience during a heartbreaking situation.
Woven between the first four lines, I have written a message that silently lets the reader know that even though I may seem put together and sane, but really I have made plenty of mistakes. Life throws me tons of lessons, and I try to learn, except the fact that I'm just not a good student. Also, in most situations where there has to be someone chosen, it seems that I'm always second best; no matter what.
Towards the last lines I wanted to elaborate the fact on how every time someone's heart is broken, there is normally a process of moving on.
I think that mostly everyone will understand what I mean when they read this.
I wanted to contrast winter and spring, with spring meaning love and winter meaning the desolation of a heart break. First loves are always the most important you will have in your life, and it is something you will always remember. Even if you may be over it, you never really are. The last two lines in this sonnet is supposed to be like a twist because the whole poem is so sorrowful I just wanted to lighten it up a bit at the end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your poem is really good, and I agree that it is something everyone can relate to. However, in the line "Drops of rain pour, I am not feeling awesome" I don't think the word awesome is the best choice. Maybe you could end the 9th line differently so that you can rhyme it better with the 11th. Also, I think "As cold as winter" is used a lot, so maybe changing cold to a more unique word can make your sonnet richer.
My favorite parts are the first stanza as well as the couplet at the end. Good job!
Post a Comment